GNU stuff for tahoe

Devon E Bowen bowen at cs.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Aug 7 05:25:45 AEST 1989

In article <8908030546.AA01786 at gemini.tau.ac.il> blumzi at math.tau.AC.IL writes:
>        Is there somebody somewhere who has GNU stuff ported to the
>tahoe (preferably SysV)?  I'm specialy interested in the gcc, g++, gdb suite.

This keeps getting asked, so I'll post the answer. Yes, gcc has been ported
to the tahoe by our department. We currently have it running under BSD. It
has also been modified to run under HCX/UX by Piet Van Oostrum (cs.ruu.nl!
piet). The BSD config files have been sent to the Free Software Foundation
for release with gcc and the copyrights have been turned over to them so they
can be issued under their copyleft. Due to some paperwork problems (in our
legal department - fun wow), we were unable to get the copyright info settled
before the 1.35 release, but all is clear now and we are waiting for the 1.36
release.

The BSD files will be issued with gcc 1.36 - they have already been built
into the FSF source tree. As to when that will be, I don't know. We've been
beta testing a version that I have been told is very close to 1.36, but that
is for them to say, not me. Sorry to all those people waiting (I have
received a lot of mail about this), but since the copyrights are no longer
owned by me, I cannot release it. If you'd like to do something else to try
to get the files, I suggest writing to Richard Stallman at rms at ai.mit.edu.

As for the other programs in the suite, we do have gdb and gas in the queue,
but it keeps getting bumped back due to the work they actually pay us to do.
We have no plans to do g++.

So that about sums up all the gnu-tahoe work I know about. I have heard
rumors of work being done elsewhere (Stanford was it?), but I haven't been
able to get any real information about it.

Devon