HCX-9: "df" dumps core w/ "Illegal instruction"

Amos Shapir amos at taux01.nsc.com
Tue Jun 12 20:14:47 AEST 1990

In article <23515 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> dkf at helios.iec.ufl.edu (Dan FitzPatrick) writes:

1)  Is only physically removing the FPP hardware all that is
>required?  i.e., the installation manual indicates no additional steps
>for the installation of these optional products, so removal should
>be just as easy, correct?

Since not all Tahoes have FPP, the system catches any attempt to execute
an illegal instruction, and if it is a FPP instruction it is emulated;
otherwise, a SIGILL signal is generated, which usually causes the process
to die.

>	3)  Where is the actual source of the message "Illegal Instruction"
>I have run strings on the OS and did not find it here.  However, the
>System Level tests did identify it as a SIGILL signal.

This string is not in the OS but in the shell (your command interpreter,
usually /bin/sh or /bin/csh).  It receives the SIGILL indication through
the system call 'wait' (see man 2) and prints the appropriate error message.

	Amos Shapir		amos at taux01.nsc.com, amos at nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
Tel. +972 52 522408  TWX: 33691, fax: +972-52-558322 GEO: 34 48 E / 32 10 N