Different versions of sh

Chet Ramey chet at odin.INS.CWRU.Edu
Sat Jan 19 01:31:01 AEST 1991

In article <1440 at tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms at tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>From the discription, it sounds like the sh that Sun ships with SunOS-3.5
>and later is much closer to the ATT version than the BSD version.
>Is this a correct interpretation?

Yes.  The version of sh shipped in SunOS 3.x (x >= 0, I think -- Guy Harris
will catch me if I'm wrong) is based on the V.2 /bin/sh, with mods from the
BRL version of that shell to fix up it's baroque memory management a bit.

Starting with SunOS 4.0, the Sun sh is derived from the V.3 sh.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``There's just no surf in
Network Services Group			  Cleveland, U.S.A. ...''