VPix & Dos partition (Was: Simple database software for sysV?)

Evan R Aussenberg erast1 at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Mon Feb 4 11:29:12 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb03.210343.18244 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us
(Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>I haven't done any formal timing but the general feeling I get is that
>VP/ix disk operations tend to be faster than native DOS due to the
>better performance of the unix disk cache.

>Les Mikesell
> les at chinet.chi.il.us

I've been using pkunzip alot under ISC/VPix lately.  While the
program seems to work at the same speed as native DOS, writing
to our Micropolis 320meg scsi is noticably slower than if I access
the DOS partition via native DOS.  This was true even if I was
the only login.  In fact, I installed some commercial software
(about 10megs worth) on the dos partition by booting DOS from
floppy because disk writing seemed faster to me than doing the
same from VPix.

Any comments?  For your reference, the computer is an Intel
model 302, 25mhz, 8meg.

BTW- the above is not true when VPix is writing to the unix
partitions.

Evan
--
Evan Ron Aussenberg