Is 4MB Enough for Interactive?

George Bron Faison Bron at cup.portal.com
Sat Feb 16 15:45:28 AEST 1991

In article <1913 at fallst.UUCP> tkevans at fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>Interactive claims their UNIX requires a minimum of 4MB RAM.  I've
>been down this road before, with Microport's System V/AT ('286)
>claiming to run in 512K.  In that case, I started out at 1MB and
>found the system swapping when going from input to command mode
>in 'vi'!  Needless to say, doubling uPort's minimum requirement
>wasn't enough.  I'm now running with 4MB and things are finally
>comfortable.
>
>And I'm just one user.  Minimal software development, with
>a partial USENET feed.
>
>Sooo, now that I'm going to a '386, I don't want to have to go
>down the road of having to upgrade the system after I buy it.
>How well with Interactive perform on a single-usre "personal"
>machine in 4MB?

I have a 20 MHZ 386 (a Toshiba T-5200) with 4 MB RAM.  I have used this
as my "transportable" UNIX machine for almost 2 years.  I use VPix
fairly often (usually only one or two sessions) and do development
work on it, etc. No X or network stuff.

I have been quite happy with this configuration and have not had any
problems. 4 MB seems to be fine.

Bron

(Bron at cup.portal.com)	"Book of the month: DOS Miserables" -me