tty port lockup

Rick Summerhill rrsum at matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Fri Feb 22 07:15:16 AEST 1991

I am currently running fas 2.08.  I have a clone ast 4 port card made
by DFI (I believe).  I have a PC down the hall connected to one of the
ports.  This PC is not left on all the time, but the UNIX box is.
Now, the ports usually work fine, but every once in a while, say after
3-4 days of the PC being off, the console locks up.  I run X from a vt
and leave it with the usual X screen blank in effect.  The mouse
attached to the display is on a fas controlled port on the card.  When
the console locks up, the mouse is gone, the keyboard is gone, and
nothing brings the display out of blank mode.  Then, if I turn on the
PC, everything clears up and I have my console back.

Does anyone know what is happening here?  Looks to me like a buffer
problem, purhaps one that is filling?  Or is this a noise problem?  My
cable is fairly long (50 feet), but it is high quality shielded cable.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

--Rick

Rick Summerhill                          Internet:  rrsum at hermzel.ksu.ksu.edu
CTA, Cardwell Hall                       Bitnet:    rrsum at ksuvm
Kansas State University                  Phone:     (913)532-6311