SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Rick Farris rfarris at rfengr.com
Sun Feb 17 15:10:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb15.134715.16979 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

| 	2. I wholeheartly DISAGREE with you posting the source code which
|	   performs the security bypass.  You could have just posted the
|	   uuencoded binary which would have been enough to prove your point
|	   without making it extremely easy for any two bit user to obtain
|	   privileged access.

|	   POSTING THE CODE WAS DEAD WRONG.

Personally, I would never, ever, EVER run a binary that had
come across on the net. No matter what the accompanying text
said it did, and especially if I thought it might mess with
permissions.

Suppose that in addition to creating a root shell, it did
something else nasty?

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris at rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757