Is There Novell, Banyan, or LAN Man Client Support For SCO UNIX

Martin O'Nions martino at logitek.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 21:36:14 AEST 1991

Will at cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:

>Are there any commercial or public-domain products that will allow
>an SCO/UNIX system to act as a Novell, Banyan, or Microsoft LAN
>Manager client?  I prefer a solution that supports the native
>protocol for the LAN operating system.  Microsoft's LAN Manager and
>LAN Manager/X both run NETBEUI.  (Only the HP version uses TCP.)

As per other postings to this group, SCO will have NetBEUI in the full
release, and HP are supposed to have it now. 3Com's RFC NetBIOS product
has been shipping for some time to give LM 1.1 TCP support, and will be
available under Microsoft LM 2.0 later this year.

Reading Microsoft's information on the LM/X standard, there is no native
transport protocol - it has been entirely up to the OEM what they will
provide (3Com chose XNS and NBP as their main protocols, with NetBEUI/DLC
as a compatability option).

It looks like NetBEUI will become the standard for PC-Unix lans, but I
would expect to see the NetBIOS over TCP/IP continue alongside..

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino at logitek.co.uk