MNP5 & Unix

Kenneth Herron kherron at ms.uky.edu
Fri Feb 15 13:13:08 AEST 1991

erast1 at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) writes:

>What's the deal with MNP5 modems and Unix?  I hear conflicting
>reports that they won't work.  With the proper handshaking, I
>don't see why an external MNP5 modem wouldn't work.

I just configured one for a BSD system the other day; it works fine.
I have a Tbit T1000 for my Sysv/386 system, and though I don't use it's
(outdated) MNP capabilities, I don't think I would have any trouble
doing so if I wanted.  I do use in PEP mode.

MNP modems have the advantage that, since they have to buffer data
between the phone line and the serial port anyway, you can set the
modem to speak to the computer at a fixed rate, and forget all
about having to make getty sync with the modem.

BTW, internal PC-bus modems also work fine with 386 unix, provided you
can configure the kernal to recognize the additional serial port.
I've set up two internal modems this way.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron at ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                        (606) 257-2975