modem mileage

Dave C Curado dcc at world.std.com
Sun Feb 17 23:28:52 AEST 1991

I've got a question concerning a modem.  I think there's probably a simple
solution to my problem, but since I don't know it yet...

We have a 386 running ICS 3.2 as an internet node.  Unfortunately for me,
it's located 70 miles away from our main site, and we must always call
in to the machine via good ol' 2400 baud modems.  This works fine, until
you have the occasion to drop the session in an ungraceful sort of way...
as in, hanging up the phone.  (for various reasons)
When this happens, it seems as if the modem freeks out and sits there
trying to communicate with the shell process I've left running.  This ties
up the machine so badly, that you can't login.  Even standing at the console!
280 miles later, (two round trips to go and fix the problem)
my tires and I are looking for a 'better way.'
 Some ideas we've had:
    - alter the kernel resources to only give so many resources to a process
    - try to make a daemon that would watch for this sort of tie up, and would
       kill the process.
    - be very very careful when dialing in (not so easy during thunder storms)

                                  Dave C.

--
Dave Curado                I didn't say that I didn't say it.
dcc at world.std.com          I said that I didn't say that I said it.