SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Richard L. Goerwitz goer at ellis.uchicago.edu
Sat Feb 23 02:20:39 AEST 1991

In article <7 at gogoman.sf.ca.us> erik at gogoman.sf.ca.us (Erik Fortune) writes:

>>	The good companys treat EVERY customer well, not just the big
>>	accounts.
>
>[ unaffiliated plug for SCO support here coming up....
>
>    I've reported several bugs to SCO (as a single user, not a large
>customer) via email.    They always call me the next morning to talk
>about the problem and make sure that they understand it.   Within
>a few days I get a followup email message....

I've also called SCO for various reasons, as a single user, and have
never received anything remotely resembling a brush-off.  When having
trouble with a Xenix tape driver, they sent me an upgrade to 2.3.2
for nothing.  Other problems were handled in similarly effective ways.

One other thing to consider is this:  SCO is relatively new to the
overburdened Unix world.  Xenix was, for some years, the SCO product
par excellance.  If the quality of Xenix is any guide to how SCO will
handle their new Unix product, then I would expect SCO to be at least
as smart a buy as ISC, Esix, Dell, or the like.

I will probably not being doing business with SCO in the future, not
because of price, but simply because I am an individual user, doing
academic research on a single machine.  SCO is just too expensive.
It's just too easy to use the Suns at school, which are bought at a
great price, and offer a nice working environment.

-Richard (goer at sophist.uchicago.edu)