SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Sean Eric Fagan sef at sco.com
Mon Feb 18 14:01:04 AEST 1991

In article <PCG.91Feb16210231 at teachk.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>AT&T say (informally, in this newsgroup) that they corrected it in
>3.2.1, and sent the corrections in its update tape to its licensees. SCO
>and and Dell installed the corrections. Probably ISC and the others have
>now decided to just put those corrections in.

(Relating to a previous message thread, the observant will undoubtedly
notice that the From: line says 'sef at sco.com'; this is posted as an SCO
employee, as it might be read as a plug.  It's not, not really, but, well,
you get the idea. 8-))

I don't know about Dell, but SCO fixed this, on our own, before AT&T sent
out 3.2.1.  Anyone who was a beta-site for SCO's 3.2.0 had a kernel that did
not have this "feature"; I'm too fuzzy about the dates to be more precise
than that (for example, it's quite probably that we actually shipped 3.2.0
[non beta, that is] before AT&T sent out 3.2.1, but I'm not sure about
that).

Given the technical expertise people have attributed to those at Dell, I
would not be surprised if they did the same thing.  However, I have
absolutely no experience with them or their product, so it's only
conjecture.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."