arc for '386 Unix

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Sun Feb 3 16:23:23 AEST 1991

julian at bongo.info.com (Julian Macassey) writes:
>I often have need to send files (usually text) to other people with
>other systems. In the Unix world compress seems pretty universal ...
>
>	Is arc available for '386 Unix?

There is a utility called 'zoo' for both Unix and DOS; check the archives
on uunet.uu.net.  Also, a version of compress exists for DOS; I've
forgotten where you can get it (perhaps uunet?).  Compress only works
with a single file, whereas zoo works with multiple files.

Other public-domain tools of interest:  pdtar (both Unix and DOS versions),
compatible with Unix tar interchange format; tarread.com, a read-only
DOS tar extracter; uuencode and uudecode (for both DOS and Unix), which
convert binary files into text files; kermit (DOS and Unix), for file
transfers; pcomm, a Unix communications program similar to DOS Procomm;
xmodem (for both DOS and Unix), for file transfers; and zmodem (for
Unix) which can send files to/from DOS Procomm.

I'd suggest poking around in the archives on uunet.uu.net; you'll find
a lot of communications stuff there.

OK, I must be running for political office:  I never did answer the
question.  Does anyone know of a Unix pkarc?  Or a tree-oriented DOS
archival utility with data compression?

Finally, is the pkarc system 'open', i.e. non-patented and non-trademarked?

-rich