Dell SVR4 on non-Dell hardware?

Michael D. Mondy mdm at mondy.UUCP
Sat Feb 9 06:57:10 AEST 1991

In article <14656 at uudell.dell.com> sblair at upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) writes:
steve> [...]
steve> **IF YOU INTEND TO RUN DELL's SYS V.4, on *non-DELL* h/w:
steve> [...]
steve> 3) Tape Controllers/Tape Drives: Adaptec *QIC150/250* drive
steve> 			Adaptec Tape Controller
steve> *are the *ONLY* supported controller & drive*

In article <3085 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
bill>   My beta stuff said Wangtek PC-36 and EV-811, and experience says they
bill> both work, with the 5099 or 5125 drives.
bill>

   Dell used to (still does?) sell the Wangtek 5150EQ drive which uses a
QIC-02 interface (as opposed to a SCSI or QIC-36 interface).  The adaptor
for this drive is the PC-02.  It appears that the device driver also
supports the PC-36 adaptor which uses QIC-36 to the wangtek 5xxxEK and
5xxxEN drives?
   I cannot imagine that Dell would drop support for hardware that they sell
when coming out with a new release of unix!  It would not exactly have a
positive effect on customer upgrades :).
   Anybody know which adaptors are functionally equivalent to each other?
I imagine people would like to run scsi tape drives off of the 1542; perhaps
someone at Dell can comment on when support for this will be available.
BTW: All versions of /usr/include/sys/wtioctl.h that I have seen were
totally bogus.

>In article <14656 at uudell.dell.com> Steve also writes:
steve>
steve> 4) Video Controllers: VGA -- DELL/Paradise VGA(640x480)
steve> 			GPX -- DELL GPX card(1024x768)

In article <3085 at sixhub.UUCP> Bill also writes:
bill>  Most VGas work well, although the ET4000 chipset may have a funniness
bill>with the sysadmin menu stuff (haven't gone back to the old VGA to test).
bill>

   I purchased a Paradise Vga Professional before Dell started selling that
card or selling unix.  I bought it because it was 100% HARDWARE compatible
with the IBM.  Since it works, I'd IMAGINE that any other 100% hardware
compatible would work - at least at standard resolutions.

Mike Mondy - mdm at mondy.uucp