Needed: pcnfsd that knows about /etc/shadow

Steve Blair sblair at upurbmw.dell.com
Tue Feb 26 02:09:45 AEST 1991

[a customer emailed this fix to us, thought it'd share it]

Here's a quick and simple way to avert any problems with pcnfsd.c A message
from someone posted to comp.unix.sysv386 clued me in on what was going on.
pcnfsd, as distributed by SUN, doesn't support shadow password files. It
uses getpwnam() to get the /etc/passwd entry for a particular user. Under your
UNIX, the passwd structure returned does not include the encrypted password.
Because of this, it didn't have a password to compare against the one I was
passing over from the PC NFS client and so it failed the mount every time.
To correct this, I added code to pcnfsd.c (source to which is distributed with
SUN's PC-NFS and FTP Software's PC/TCP) to additionally call getspnam() to
access the shadow password file to retrieve the user's password. This was
a trivial modification.

Steve Blair	DELL	UNIX	DIVISION sblair at upurbmw.dell.com