Xenix TCP/IP, cant fork login?

Sysop shevett at dworkin.UUCP
Mon Feb 18 04:51:25 AEST 1991

Situation: SCO Xenix 2.3.1, WD8003 Ethernet, TCP/IP 1.0.1h.

Systems: dworkin (Xenix 2.3.1), fiona (PeeCee w/NCSA), random (3b1)

Problem: I can telnet from dworkin out to random, the 3b1, and log in
nicely.  FTP's work, etc.  Neither fiona nor random can telnet INTO
dworkin.  fiona gets the System V.3.2.1 (dworkin.amber.com), but no
login and exits with a Null Pointer Assignment.  Random connects, then
gets a 'Connection closed' and bops out.

Another friend mentioned for some reason the TCP/IP under Xenix seems
to accept the connection, but cannot fork out the login.

I REALLY need to be able to telnet into the machine.  It's extremely
difficult to work on my machine from the console.

Oh, one more anomaly:  The 3b1 (random) lets me rlogin into the system.
Aren't rlogin and telnet almost the same?!??!  Since I don't have rlogin
for the peecees, I do need telnet to work.

Thanx!

shevett at mccc.edu           <-- works great
shevett at dworkin.amber.com  <-- Under construction
mccc.edu!dworkin!shevett   <-- less glamorous, but functional.