Equinox question

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Fri Feb 15 19:30:43 AEST 1991

>>Is this true? It would strike me that having both functions is to get a
>>Telebit going at top speed. Or is it -- can a Telebit be run at full
>>speed on UUCP transfers using Xon-Xoff? I would think that this could be
>>a problem if the Xon is imbedded in a binary transfer...
>
> [...]
>
>If you're using the Telebits for uucp or interactive use, you DO NOT need to
>do this.  The Equinox cards can easily keep up with the data requirements
>without help, and UUCP is a self-pacing protocol.  However, if you intend
>to use something like Zmodem at high speeds you >do< need it.

Uucp connections in general are not "self-pacing", if by that you mean
they do their own handshaking.  Uucp connections via Telebits in PEP
mode with uucp-spoofing enabled are "self-pacing".

If all you need to do is make uucp connections via PEP then you don't
need any hand-shaking, and in some instances things work a little
faster that way.  If you need to also make reliable 8-bit transparent
connections at other speeds you will either have to insure that the
data rate of the modem connection matches the port baud-rate, or have
hardware hand-shaking that works (modem compression, etc., cause problems
here).

Pegging your port speed at 19200 and trying to make uucp exchanges with
other modems at 1200, 2400 and 9600 V.32 will most likely fail without
hardware handshaking.

If you want to use your Telebit in answer mode for a variety of calling
situations and uses, not just uucp, you really do need hardware handshaking
to take full advantage of the modem.