How should I use a Compaq 386/25?

Andrew H Cowan cowan at soleil.sps.mot.com
Sat Feb 16 02:49:40 AEST 1991

I have a Compaq Deskpro 386/25 system that's just gathering
dust.  It has Interactive Systems' UNIX System V/386 on it
and quite a bit of disk space.  I'm told that this system
is no slouch - and I'm on a mission to make use of it.

Two ideas that I'm considering:

1) Make it an Xterminal or X workstation.
   Xterminal software would have to make it comparable
   in cost/performance to an NCD Xterminal.
   If X11 were put on it, does it have the power to
   be useable as a workstation?

2) Make it a Usenet server.
   This would be a great use of the system in my view,
   as long as it can handle the disk space requirements.

So, has anyone out in net land used a Compaq in either
of these ways?  I'd like to know if anyone has compiled
the Usenet programs on this system and if anyone is
using one as I propose.

I'm not familiar with this system at all, so if anyone
can answer a few naive questions for me:
  * Can the system take expansion disk?  How?  How much ($)?
  * What is the relative power of this machine in MIPS?
  * For what purpose are these systems commonly used?

-AC
                     __
                  \_/oo\_/
Andy Cowan...........||.............cowan at soleil.sps.mot.com......