SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Ric Werme werme at Alliant.COM
Sun Feb 24 03:45:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb21.212518.3528 at digibd.com> rhealey at digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.174314.475 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>>davidg at aegis.UUCP (Dave McLane) writes:
>>>As a sample of how "fast" ISC responds, I have been trying for a
>>>month to get them to send me a replacement for the disk that was
>>>supposed to update my $2149 Architech Developer to Multi-User.

>>Dave, sorry you have had a "bad experience" with ISC. I have never had
>>anything but GREAT response, even a time when I trashed my install diskette
>>4 times before moving my 16-bit video card to an 8-bit slot

>	Maybe you've had great response because your site is a huge
>	customer rather than a single user or small company?

Well, I just broke down and bought a 386 box and ISC unix for home use.  The
system runs DOS just fine, but seems to have some sort of problem and likes
to eat ISC install diskettes.  Despite problems with telephone tag (could it
be caused by angry USENETters tying up phone lines?), they shipped out a new
disk Fed Ex.

I forgot to ask about a USENET support address.

Too bad ISC didn't implement a ram disk or something so the install disk
doesn't need to be write enabled.  I understand thats a point for SCO.
It's not hard to do, we do it at Alliant.

Still don't have Unix up, but the system is back at the shop.  They've sold
lots of Unixes with the same hardware, so we're both pretty mystified at
the moment.
--

| A pride of lions              | Eric J Werme                   |
| A gaggle of geese             | uucp: mit-eddie!alliant!werme  |