PC Unix and 3Com and Novell networks

Martin O'Nions martino at logitek.co.uk
Wed Feb 6 22:13:28 AEST 1991

paul at actrix.gen.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:

>In article <15956 at reed.UUCP> bob at reed.UUCP (Bob Ankeney) writes:
>> 2) From Unix, can we access the MSDOS files on the novell network?  What
>>    would be involved?

>Portable Netware for UNIX.  Several vendors have this now.  But only
>IF the files sit on the server.  I haven't seen any Novell clients
>for ANY UNIX.

Requests for NetWare clients on Unix seem to meet with polite, but puzzled
silences from Novell/OEMs alike. The latest versions of PNW do have the
APIs necessary to implement a NetWare client available, but nobody seems
to have taken the plunge so far. It should not prove too difficult to
build a client through something like NFS's VNODE system, but I can't find
anyone who'll commit to it.

My recommendation is to keep shouting at the product manager in the OEM
supplying PNW for your system - it may not work, but you get a lot of
satisfaction out of it......

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino at logitek.co.uk