How expensive is fiber optic

Peter King king at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU
Thu Feb 14 07:57:47 AEST 1991

	Here at the Plasma Physics Department we have a MicroVAX II that is subject to frequent
power surges due to the tokamak discharging.  The surge is such that when the tokamak fires, all
the monitors in the Department jolt quite strongly.  We have taken various precautions with the
computer including mains filters, surge protectors and fibre optic isolation to our Ethernet
network.  All of our terminals are fibre optically isolated too.

	Recently we had a severe electrical storm which fried every computer in our Department
except the MicroVAX II.  We knew that the problem wasn't a power supply problem as the surge
protectors were intact, so the problem was the Ethernet acting as a large antenna for the
lightning strike on the building.  Since everything works okay, I can recommend fibre optic
isolation for the network connections.