Making a 2K filesys in ISC 2.2.1

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Feb 25 23:38:18 AEST 1991

bill at polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) writes:
>How do first add a second harddisk, but have the /usr2 filesystem be a 2K
>fs?

Just add the partition as a 1K FS (the default), unmount it, mkfs it as a 2K
file system.

> I want to do this because my 512K fs can't handle a 3.5Mg file, so I
>surmised a bigger sector size would help.

No it won't help.  What error message are you getting about the 3.5MB file?
perhaps it is something related to ulimit?  (If it stops at around 2MB, then
it is almost surely a ulimit problem) See the FAQ posting for ways to
increase your ulimit (or the sh(1) man page, sub-page 11).

> Besides using mkfs2K is there any file that I have to modify?

I don't believe so.  Both mount and fsck should be able to determine the
type of drive.

One thing to remember:  If you switch to a 2K file system you loose the
			advantages of ISC's fast file system. (Read this as:
			your system will probably slow down.)

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170