Comtrol

Rob Peglar robp at gumby.network.com
Wed Feb 6 02:29:19 AEST 1991

I am posting this as a warning to those of you who previously have or
are considering purchasing products from Comtrol Corporation.  This article
is being cross-posted.  The entire article represents the opinion
of the author only and not any other person or organization.  If you don't
know about the multiport serial market and/or Comtrol, just hit "n" now.

This is a very sad story.  The year 1990 was a very tumultuous one for
Comtrol.  When I began 1990, taking the position of Manager, Software
R&D, things weren't looking so good.  I had four programmers and two
tech support people working for me, and while their work was quite good,
the overall perception of the company was, as our customers and competitors
put it, "asleep at the wheel".  And so it was;  Comtrol's sales were far
and away based on very old, non-intelligent (aka dumb) product;  although
Comtrol had one (the Smart Hostess line) intelligent product, the
competition had, by far, the lion's share of the intelligent market.
(note, the Ultra 186 was considered part of the Smart Hostess line, and
was in the process of being phased out by the (then unavailable) Ultra 8/16)

At that time, Comtrol was around 35 people.  It was fairly profitable,
since it tended to preserve 60% gross margins as a business priority.
However, the competition was overwhelming Comtrol in terms of market
share;  while the pie was growing bigger, Comtrol was not growing as
fast as the stockholders would like.  So, the board decided to make
two things happen (at once);  grow the R&D staff, to design and deliver
new products during 1990, and also concentrate on (hopefully) growing
the international market by opening offices in Europe, using local
(European) personnel.  Comtrol had previously controlled all international
operations from St. Paul.

(in case you're confused by the terminology, Comtrol is privately held;
the stockholders and the board are one and the same family)

The first strategy, upgrade products/services, worked very well during 1990.
In software, I added three programmers (net), and one tech support person.
Thus, by August, Comtrol had seven programmers and two tech support people.
The hardware R&D group added three engineers and one lab technician.
Customers and competitors had noticed the new products (e.g. Ultra 8/16,
Multivision, etc.etc.) hitting the market; and here's a testimonial from
a real live UseNetter (John DeArmond) about Comtrol service.

--cut--
>From ns!noc.MR.NET!msi.umn.edu!umeecs!umich!ox.com!caen!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!emory!rsiatl!jgd Tue Jan 29 12:53:13 CST 1991
Article 7341 of comp.protocols.tcp-ip: