system(3) behaviour under Esix rev. D

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Wed Feb 27 13:38:16 AEST 1991

In article <27C93418.F26 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>SCO support has confirmed that /bin/sh doesn't like EUID and UID
>differing, and attempts to "correct" the matter.  Double bleh.

I don't think this is the source of the problem with ESIX.  If I do
{ setuid(0); exec("/bin/sh", ...); } I get a root shell.  If I do a
{ system("id"); } I get uid=me, euid=me if the program is setuid root;
but I get uid=me, euid=him if the program is setuid to non-root "him".
The system() call appears to zap the euid only if it's 0; sh seems not
care.  The same holds under ISC, incidentally.
--
John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)