Dell 4.0

Wei Jen Yeh yeh at cs.purdue.EDU
Tue Feb 5 11:43:52 AEST 1991

In article <13275 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, yeh at cs.purdue.EDU I write:

> Hello,
>   I am having a problem running kermit under Dell's unix 4.0.  I just managed
>   The kermit binary was generated under svr3.2.  After entering the program,
> I issued the command "set line /dev/tty00".  It took about 5 seconds for
> the prompt to reappear, which is much longer than it was before (under 3.2).
> I then issued the command "set speed 2400", which caused the error message
> "Speed setting can only be done on external lines". ....

  Kermit now runs after I recompiled the source.  This is after I reinstalled
the system.  In case you're interested, I used the make target sys5r3, and
had to undef __STDC__ to get it to compile.  Does anyone know of a better
solution to compile these non-ansi compliant C programs?

  One observation.  The display seems to be in "burst mode" -- 2 or 3 lines
of text would appear,  then some noticeable delay, then the next chunk of
data appears .... This happens both under X and the ascii console.
Is this a common experience with people using Dell 4.0?  Should I fine-tune
some kernel parameter, or is it the fault of the asy driver?  BTW,
/dev/tty00 is connected to a 2400 baud modem.

  Thanks to all the people that offered me help, including support at uudell.

Wei Jen Yeh

yeh at cs.purdue.edu
Department of Computer Science
Purdue University