Help: Dell SYSVR4

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Feb 4 12:30:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb2.195744.15339 at szebra.uucp> tin at szebra.uucp (Tin Le) writes:

| Be prepared for lots of problems.  I have a Dell 486/33 box with their
| S5R4 for a week now, and have had 2 panics (and I haven't even started
| trying yet!).

  I would love to know what you are doing... I had two beta versions and
an alpha version of V.4 from three vendors, and never saw a panic. We
had a Dell V.4 loading from tape, being an NFS server for Xenix
machines, and running a scanner in direct i/o port access mode under DOS
under X, all in an 8MB machine. We set a record for paging, but it all
worked, reasonably fast, and nary a problem.

  This was on a class A network with 1k+ nodes active, so it seems
fairly safe to say the net card was busy in addition to all the other
stuff going on!

  Can you give me a hint what you are running? I have never tried a
multiport serial card, although I guess I have to, since I need two
serial ports and the fix for the bus mouse driver is rather seriously
late. Other than that we've run for a few days on 325's, 425E, 433E with
SCSI, old 16MHz SXs of no particular brand, and even a 325D.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX