ESIX FFS: what's the verdict?

Jeff Johnson jjohnson at peyote.cactus.org
Tue Feb 12 17:15:38 AEST 1991

In article <27B16F3A.26B6 at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Many people have given their opinions about the quality (or lack
>thereof) of Everex's implementation of the fast file system.
>
>So what's a new installer to do?  Is the FFS reliable enough for a
>root partition?  How about a /u partition?  I need to know soon...

I have been running ESIX FFS (SYSV compatible filenames) on all
partitions since November without any problems attributable to FFS.  I
am even running on a WD1006V-SR2 RLL controller with 2 CDC Wren II MFM
drives.  I do not have a news or mail feed on the box, so the file
systems aren't stressed from that.  But I do play with Roell's X11R4 a
fair bit and compile almost every utility known to Usenet.

--
Jeff Johnson		10926 Jollyville #1420, Austin, TX 78759
Computer Consultant	(512) 343-0675		(512) 750-UNIX