SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Tue Feb 19 04:52:17 AEST 1991

jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:

>  I tried to fix the problem temporarily by setting UAREARW to 0 as
>was posted.  I rebult the kernel and all was well, until cnews tried
>to run.  I got a core dump from sendbatches.  Also the dfspace utility
>would not work.  Anyone else seen this?  I am running ISC 2.2 w/o a
>coprocessor.  Do I also have to set UAREAUS to 0 to make this "fix"
>work?

we had the same problem here on nstar.rn.com with cnews bitching after
rebuilding the kernel with the additional fields set in the kernel

there is no fix for ISC 2.2 without a co as of this time and those
2 fields are of no value unless you are running with a coprocessor

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator