Roell's X11R4 server and PVGA1A

Thomas Hoberg tmh at bigfoot.FOKUS.GMD.DBP.DE
Tue Feb 5 03:53:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.020518.1361 at pegasus.com>, richard at pegasus.com
(Richard Foulk) writes:
> [...]
VGA card

|> >  I think that the ET4000 should be first priority, since the price is
|> >just coming down the the range of working people ($200-300).
|>
|> So which is the best ET4000 card?  (And what's a good price on an 8514 card
|> for comparison?)
|>
|> And where do we send our donations?
|>

|> --
|> Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com
Really, what's 'the best' anyway? Most ET4000 cards are really very similar.
All should have 1MB of RAM (make sure they are 80ns), an ET4000 chip, some
glue, and a couple of crystals. Brand name vendors try to distinguish them-
selves by providing clock synthesizers and fancy drivers for DOS software.
A Sigma Legend is a good board and it will give you lot's of crystals to play
with (the configuration stuff in Tom's server is really great), but if
1024x768 is all you wan't, it doesn't really offer any advantages over some
no-name clone card which costs 20% of what you'd have to hand over for a Sigma.
It should certainly have a 65MHz crystal, if it goes higher, chances are your
monitor can't cut it. At 80MHz you might be able to do the 1152x900 non-
interlaced. I really liked the 44MHz crystal on my Taiwan clone (intended
for 1024x768 interlaced), cause I can do 800x600 at higher refresh rates.
Likewise I don't really do 1024x768 with the 65MHz crystal, but 960x720 at
70Hz frame rate.
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh at bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub at tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET at DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh at tub.BITNET