14 character file names

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Tue Feb 12 12:58:40 AEST 1991

As quoted from <14934 at uudell.dell.com> by jrh at mustang.dell.com (James Howard):
+---------------
| In article <ANDYC.91Feb4134215 at bucky.intel.com>, andyc at bucky.intel.com
| (Andy Crump) writes:
| > There are utilities in SVR4 (e.g. compress) that create filenames and
| > refuse to create any that would be greater than 14 characters.  These
| > utilities, IMHO, should check the filesystem type before making these
| > decisions.
|
| I made exactly the change you describe above to compress in our V.4
| product, and it will be on the next update.  If you have examples of
| other commands with this problem, I would appreciate a email reply
| with a list of them.

Sensible.  Isn't that what POSIX pathconf() is for?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN