Building X386v1.1

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 01:32:40 AEST 1991

On 21 Feb 91 08:49:12 GMT, roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas
Roell) said:

roell> 2. Now you should also mention, that you created a new
roell> data-section for each shared lib. This means at least 4kBytes
roell> additional memory requirement, plus some addtional memory for the
roell> region-table, and the mmu. Now consider an application like
roell> xterm. This one needs libX11, libXext, libXt, libXmu & libXaw.
roell> I.e an addtional memory-overhead of 20k (minimum !!!).  I think
roell> this is UNACCEPTABLE !

And here Thomas Roell gets blacklisted by the Imperial MITI DRAM
Service, and will never find a job with major Unix machine vendors :-).

Too bad for you, unless of course you clarify your statement and make it
obvious that you meant to say that an additional memory overhead of 20KB
is unacceptable because it is too small! :-).
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk