FAS 2.08 and Open Desktop ?? Anybody ?

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Tue Feb 12 06:40:38 AEST 1991

rob at lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:

>The problem is with dial in.  DTR drops as soon as CD comes up.  If I do
>something ridiculous like use getty instead of uugetty I am able to log
>in with cu and uucp connections.  sub-optimal to say the least.

Rob, I tried to address your problem via e-mail, but it bounced.

Why is using getty less than optimal? FAS, with it's dial-in/dial-out
feature, is designed for getty use. What's so special about your uugetty
that you can't switch to getty? I don't know the SCO uugetty, but the
standard uugetty on most SysVr3 releases doesn't have any features
that getty doesn't have, except that you can dial out while uugetty
waits for a dial-in. Actually, most implementations of uugetty are
brain dead, anyway.

With FAS, you put getty on the port with the minor device number
208 + port#, and do the dial-outs on the device with minor device
number 80 + port#. No need to use uugetty anymore. Note that you
need to use the `-h' flag for getty to prevent a hang-up on
dial in. At first, I thought that this was the reason for your
problem, but as you used uugetty, I really don't know what
the cause of your uugetty hang-ups could be.

      Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini