Shared lib versions of X11, Xt, Xmu, etc?

gaf gaf at uucs1.UUCP
Thu Feb 7 12:28:00 AEST 1991

This may well have been around before, but it's not in the FAQ list...

Is there any particular reason why Interactive doesn't have shared versions
of the X libraries?  We've been trying to roll our own from the MIT source,
but keep bumping into one problem after another (maybe ISC has, too!).
Programs link okay, but give various mysterious errors at run time
(e.g. inheritance problems, sometime just core dumps).

The reason this is cross-posted to comp.windows.x is to ask if there's
anything inherent in the Xlib or Xt code which would preclude them from
easily being made into shared libraries?

When you're running several copies of a program which is over 1 Mb in memory,
you start wishing for the promised land of shared libraries.
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.