HELP: DCD failure detection with polled reads (SCOV.3.2)

David Lamkin dave at acorn.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 01:21:51 AEST 1991

I'm having trouble detecting carrier fail from my Hayes compatible
modem on my SCO Unix V.3.2 release 2 system. The application is using
serial lines as a background data transfer (so I can't make the
serial line tty my controlling terminal) & I was hoping to avoid the
need for a separate process by setting VMIN & VTIME to 0 and thus poll
on my reads. Everything works fine but when the carrier drops reads
just return "no bytes read".  Am I liable to be able to make this
work? (All the example of code I can find use blocking reads...)

David Lamkin
dlamkin at acorn.co.uk