Weitek under unix (was Re: SECURITY BUG)

Rick Farris rfarris at rfengr.com
Wed Feb 13 16:04:17 AEST 1991

In article <54428 at bigtex.cactus.org> james at bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

> The Abacus (Weitek is the company name) does not use memory for
> registers, but instead uses memory for the instruction set.

> There is no reason a user application should ever need to write to the
> Abacus registers in the u block

So James, I'm having trouble reading through the
obfuscation -- I really don't see what the facts above have
to do with the subject of whether or not Dell Unix has the
bug.

Here, here's a simple yes or no question: "Does Dell Unix
allow user processes to overwrite the u block?"

(You *did* have to jump into this, didn't you?)
:-)

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris at rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757