Need help with SYSLOGD message on I

Doug McCallum dougm at ico.isc.com
Sun Feb 17 06:09:21 AEST 1991

In article <654400015 at cdp> steve at cdp.UUCP writes:

>From steve Fri Feb 15 16:16 PST 1991 remote from cdp
>To: joe at shiva.sci.com
>Subject: Re: Need help with SYSLOGD message on I
>
>> Feb 14 14:19:49 shiva unix: NOTICE: growreg - Insufficient memory to
>>                            allocate 368762 pages - system call failed
>

>Funny.  We get that message regularly from syslogd also.  I
>had always assumed we had a buggy application here, but if
>someone on an unrelated system gets it, maybe there is a
>bug in one of the interactive utilities.
>
>Any ideas

No ideas on what is causing the message but I have seen it.  syslogd gets
the message out of the kernel OSM device which is just a large circular
buffer of the output of kernel printf's.  Some kernel printf output only
appears in this buffer and not on the console.

The meaning of the message is that an application attempted to sbrk that
much additional memory.  Something calling malloc with a bad value could
do it.