SPECmarks....

Charlie Sauer sauer at chs.dell.com
Tue Feb 12 02:36:10 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb11.073342.381 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>> ...Others complain however, that is more weighted in favor of
>> floating-pt. performance vs. integer performance, so Intel branched off
>> and created the I Spec or Integer Specmark.
>
>"Others" is approximately "intel" - to the extent that pundits say that "I
>SPECmark" really means "Intel SPECmark".
>
>The serious political point in this is that SPEC hasn't blessed anything
>called an "Integer SPECmark" (as far as I know).  The serious technical
>point is that, if the SPEC test suite overemphasizes floating-point (which
>I personally think it does, but what do I know?), the "I Spec" ignores it
>completely, which is rather worse.

Maybe I didn't see the first Intel documents which separated the 4 nominally
integer benchmarks from the 6 nominally floating point components of SPEC 1,
but the first public use of this distinction that I remember came from John
Mashey of MIPS, shortly after the RS/6000 announcement.  Of course, John
properly presented the individual results, the geometric mean of the floating
components and the overall geometric mean, as well.
--
Charlie Sauer       Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!sauer
(512) 343-3310      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:sauer at dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299