gcc-1.39 under dell 4.0

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 23:40:22 AEST 1991

In <13324 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu> yeh at cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) writes:

>Hello,
>  I tried to compile the 1.39 source under Dell 4.0 yesterday.  The
>first pass went through ok, except the single file hard-params.c causing
>the "long double" problem.  When I tried to make stage1, it choked on the
>include stdio.h (illegal expression).  It's the line "#if #machine (...)"
>that caused the problem.  Does anyone what's going on here?

Yup,
AT&T apparently decided to "extend" the ANSI standard ('s'funny I here you
cry, I thought standards were meant to be just that). Anyway, if you're using
gcc, all you need to do is take the files with such offending/offensive lines,
copy them to /usr/local/lib/gcc-include (or wherever), and change them to
#if defined(i386) ...
or similar, just like it always used to be done.
That one's almost as good as the obnoxious complaints the V.3 compiler makes
about
#ifdef fred
#else
#endif fred

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"