SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Joern Lubkoll lumpi at dobag.in-berlin.de
Tue Feb 12 22:15:15 AEST 1991

john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>In article <KR3NBQQ at dobag.in-berlin.de> lumpi at dobag.in-berlin.de (Joern Lubkoll) writes:
>>it seems that your very cute interactive unix System has a nice bug !
>Yikes.  This also works on ESIX-D without a coprocessor, and on ISC 2.0.2
>*with* a coprocessor.  It failed on Microport 2.2 with a coprocessor.

It even works on 2.2 with a coprocessor ! You have to set the Kernel
Tuneable Parameters UAREAUS and UAREARW to 0 to protect you u-block !
If Esix dows have such parameters, please try them and report me the
experiences.
2.02 is unprotectable ! a 2.2 System without a co-cpu is also unprotect-
able !

>Now, the question is, what do we do to protect ourselves in the meantime?
That is the problem which made me think half a year before posting it !
The time until the bug-fix arrives will be short I hope, or Interactive
has a problem !

jl

--
lumpi at dobag.in-berlin.de  --  "Nothing is the complete absence of everything."