Lan Manager/X

Jerry Lahti jel at tuura.UUCP
Tue Feb 5 17:11:23 AEST 1991

brian at edat.UUCP (brian douglass personal account) writes:

>If LM/X is coming from SCO it looks like you will have to wait
>another month.  If LM/X is coming from HP and just being resold by
>SCO, then maybe it is available.

Well, I'm not from SCO or HP but I been running both the HP LM/X server
(from Microsoft OEM kit) and the SCO server (beta versions) for
several months now.

With SCO the official release data in (late) March seems quite realistic -
there are still a few problems which have to be ironed out. Also getting
the documents printed and the product packages into production will
naturally take its time. So you will not be able to get SCO LAN Manager
right now.

SCO does not just resell the HP server. They are using the OEM version
from Microsoft and have added quite a bit stuff to the base port:
support for SCO TCP/IP, NetBEUI as transport protocol, NetBIOS based
network services (virtual terminal, mail, remote tape), etc.

I do not know how you can get a retail version of the HP server but it
has its own TCP/IP stack (from HP) which definitely is not the same as
SCO TCP/IP. As a result you will have to say good-bye to all the
other SCO TCP/IP based networking stuff (NFS, X Windows, whatever)
if you want to use the HP server.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Lahti (expected to do the grunt work for our LM/X product)
Nokia Data Systems Oy, Systems Division/Network Operating Systems
Domains: jel at xerver.data.nokia.fi