YELP about obtaining nroff (longish)

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Sun Feb 10 10:07:48 AEST 1991

jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:
>In summary, I've really run into a blank wall on this.
>
>   WHERE CAN I GET NROFF?  (I can't FTP, I'm a uucp-only site.)
>
>   Or where can I get fake nroff, or enough of nroff to read ...

This frustrated me too, but there is a simple solution.  Get flex from
uunet.uu.net in directory comp.sources.unix/volume19/flex2 (files part01-07),
and get xfmt from the same system (file comp.sources.unix/volume16/xfmt.Z).

This will fix your problem; you can then type 'xfmt -mu foo.man > foo.1' to
create readable man pages.  It uses termcap to translate certain escape
sequences.  I also had to patch a couple of places in xfmt source, because
it assumes 'printf ("%s", NULL)' prints nothing whereas the Microsoft
library prints '(null)' for that case.  That's the only source bug I can
recall.

I know nothing about how to use uucp, but I know uunet is easy enough to
get to.

-rich