Remote permissions for NFS backup

Paul Swetik swetik at eecs.wsu.edu
Tue Feb 26 06:15:42 AEST 1991

Having recently installed ISC (via Dell) NFS, I have not been able
to backup files cleanly across the net. Is there a clean way to
gain read permission for root on a client machine to backup NFS
mounted 'read owner' files to the client tape drive? My fix is
brute force, i.e., run a script to change permissions to 'read
other' on the server during the backup, run the backup, then change
the permissions back.  This is an obvious security problem during
the backup except that all our machines are trusted hosts.

It has been suggested to add a switch to /etc/exports  :
     /    -r=0      monte     #example line from my /etc/exports

The -r=0  doesn't seem to have any effect.

I can't be the *only* person who ever wanted to backup files to a
remote tape drive. Thanks in advance.