X386 1.1; ProDesigner II + NEC 4D

Darryl Okahata darrylo at hpnmdla.HP.COM
Sun Feb 17 18:08:17 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.sysv386, roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell) writes:

> X11R4core.tar.Z	All binaries, libraries, etc. that are needed to
>			get X11R4 run on your 386box (except the fonts).

     Are these binaries supposed to work with Esix rev D?  I followed
the installation instructions (including running install.sh & kernel
reconfig), and xinit dies with a "Creating TCP socket: Invalid argument"
error.  I'm guessing that this server is trying to use BSD sockets;
unfortunately, Esix DOES NOT HAVE BSD sockets.  It has a library that
smells like BSD sockets, but is in no way or form BSD sockets.  Esix has
only streams, not sockets.

     I guess I'll have to try compiling the sources.  Does anyone know
if X11R4 can be compiled with gcc 1.38?  For that matter, does anyone
know if the native Esix ld(1) command can handle X11R4?  I've heard that
some 386 loaders cannot handle linking X11R4.

     As a side issue (which may get obsoleted by all this), in Esix, the
stream pipes "sp" driver referenced by install.sh does NOT show up in
/usr/options.  The "sp" driver is part of the Remote File Sharing
Package, and therefore shows up in "/usr/options/remote.name".

     -- Darryl Okahata
	UUCP: {hplabs!, hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpnmd!darrylo
	Internet: darrylo%hpnmd at hp-sde.sde.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.