SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

John G. DeArmond jgd at Dixie.Com
Fri Feb 15 05:00:25 AEST 1991

bill at ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>first place, who cares?  Well damn it!  I care!  Maybe I care too much and
>have a gatekeeper to keep joy riders out, but I think that each and every one
>of you should care and should care more than I do.  On the other hand, maybe
>we are just hobby players, maybe these systems are toys, don't produce any
>meaningful work, cost $$ within discretionary budgets, or we're just amateurs
>who don't understand the consequences of a rogue with root permissions.

Boy, you see everything on this network.  Bill, how in the world did you
work your logic around from delivering a deserved flame to Interactive
and others to flaming users who've not publicly gone on afterburner over
the issue?

Could it be that the spat of silence from many people who normally would
be at Dresden incendiary levels by now is because their lawyers have told them
to keep their mouths shout while they prepare cases?

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)