SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
Thu Feb 14 19:21:04 AEST 1991

In article <529 at jahangir.UUCP>, marc at jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) writes:
>> In article <1991Feb11.184130.11321 at jwt.UUCP> john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>> >Yikes.  This also works on ESIX-D without a coprocessor, and on ISC 2.0.2
>> >*with* a coprocessor.  It failed on Microport 2.2 with a coprocessor.
>> >Now, the question is, what do we do to protect ourselves in the meantime?
>
> Works like a charm on ISC 2.2 with a 486 -- good thing the only people
> over here that read this newsgroup already know the root password.
> "Feature", indeed!  Hope ISC hears a lot about this, if anyone can ever
> get past the 15 minutes it takes their telephone guy to locate you in his
> files before he'll let you discuss anything real.
>
> Marc Rossner
> jahangir!marc at uunet.uu.net

The bug bites on a 486 under ESIX Rev. D too ... if anyone figures out a
workaround it would be much appreciated; has anyone spoke with Everex yet?

Mike Hoffos
mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
(Mount Royal College is a community college in Calgary, Alberta)

Disclaimer:     Mount Royal College doesn't speak for me, and I *certainly*
                don't speak for it.