A flicker-free X386 setup for NEC Multisync II using 32Mhz crystal

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Sun Feb 17 12:15:14 AEST 1991

I have looked into Thomas Roell's latest Xconfig but couldn't find a good one
for my NEC Multisync II.  So I followed the instructions given by Thomas in
his release notes and came up the following entry:

name       clock   horizontal timing     vertical timing     flag

"704x528"  32      704  736  856  888    528  528  533  545

The above setting is *specifically* designed for NEC Multisync II, an obsolete
but (if I am not mistaken) a once popular monitor.  Any SVGA with a 32Mhz
crystal should be able to take advantage above setting.

The setting gives you ~ 66 Hz screen refresh frequency [~ 32Mhz/(888x545)].
Unless your eyes are very sensitive, you ought not to sense any flicker.  I
have tested it using my own hardware and a xterm -bg white -fg black and am
satisfied by the steady image.  In addition, it gives you the "golden ratio"
at the same time.

The refresh rate is only lower than Thomas 920x690 special entry (~ 73Hz)
but higher than any other entry in Xconfig and ones published on the net so far
by at least 4Hz.  The trade-off is somewhat reduced viewing area.  But for
reasonable font size.  I think this one is acceptable.

For whatever it's worth, enjoy!

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University