Vendor Bug Reporting Policy (was Re: SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386)

J.T. Conklin jtc at motcad.portal.com
Tue Feb 19 11:22:52 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb18.175533.12275 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>SCO managed to get it working before their first release; AT&T and Dell
>managed to get it "fixed" for their second release.  All without having to
>redesign an enormous program written entirely in assembly.  Or would you
>rather that the fpu emulator have more bugs introduced?

Was the existance of this bug passed up the chain of command to AT&T and
then distributed to all other sysv386 vendors, or did SCO, Dell, and AT&T
keep it to themselves.  If so, I consider SCO, Dell, and AT&T as much at
fault as ISC, ESIX, Bell Tech, and Microport.

Seriously, are bug reports/fixes passed back to AT&T or do vendors have
some sort of bogus attitude that "bug fixes are propritary as they give
us an edge over our competition."

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin    jtc at motcad.portal.com, ...!portal!motcad!jtc