14 character limitation in filenames

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Thu Feb 7 15:16:10 AEST 1991

As quoted from <.H599ZF at xds13.ferranti.com> by peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva):
+---------------
| In article <1991Feb1.003532.15719 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
| > "Silliness"?  I still fail to understand why everyone wants to be able to
| > create files with humongous names --- I don't enjoy typing 14 character file
|
| I find 14 a little limiting on occasion, but I've never run out of space
| in the 30-character file names on AmigaOS. Since just doubling the size
| of a directory entry would give you 30 character filenames, why bother with
| complicated stuff like the BSD system?

We see eye to eye on this.  255 character file names are ridiculous; if my
file name gets *that* long, as far as I'm concerned the file name is a file in
itself.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN