Diffs for the FAQ posting

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Feb 4 02:38:33 AEST 1991

*** 9011	Sun Nov  4 20:18:28 1990
--- 9102	Sun Feb  3 10:36:19 1991
***************
*** 1,9 ****
  Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
  Subject: Welcome to comp.unix.sysv386 (AKA Frequently Asked Questions)
! Expires: 7 Dec 90 05:03:07 GMT
! Supersedes: <1990Oct02.031507.4230 at virtech.uucp>

  Welcome to the comp.unix.sysv386 newsgroup.  This newsgroup (actually the
  former comp.unix.i386 newsgroup which was renamed to this group) was founded
--- 1,9 ----
  Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
! Expires: 7 Mar 91 05:03:07 GMT
! Supersedes: <1990Nov05.012005.18284 at virtech.uucp>

  Welcome to the comp.unix.sysv386 newsgroup.  This newsgroup (actually the
  former comp.unix.i386 newsgroup which was renamed to this group) was founded
***************
*** 17,23 ****
  posting, the Frequently Asked Questions posting in comp.unix.questions,
  and finally the various postings in news.announce.newusers.

! 	Last Modified: $Id: freq.ques,v 1.5 90/10/01 23:10:04 cpcahil Exp $

  This article includes answers to:

--- 17,23 ----
  posting, the Frequently Asked Questions posting in comp.unix.questions,
  and finally the various postings in news.announce.newusers.

! 	Last Modified: $Id: freq.ques,v 1.6 91/02/03 10:30:15 cpcahil Exp $

  This article includes answers to:

***************
*** 65,71 ****
  	This group was formed to discuss the various implementations of UNIX
  	on the Intel 386 architecture.  This includes SCO Unix, 386/ix,
  	ISC UNIX, ESIX, Dell, Bell Tech (now Intel) Unix, Microport Unix,
! 	and, of course, AT&T and any others that I have forgotten.

  	Since no vendor intends to make a 486 specific version of their OS,
  	the use of the various UNIX products on the i486 will also be
--- 65,71 ----
  	This group was formed to discuss the various implementations of UNIX
  	on the Intel 386 architecture.  This includes SCO Unix, 386/ix,
  	ISC UNIX, ESIX, Dell, Bell Tech (now Intel) Unix, Microport Unix,
! 	UHC Unix and, of course, AT&T and any others that I have forgotten.

  	Since no vendor intends to make a 486 specific version of their OS,
  	the use of the various UNIX products on the i486 will also be
***************
*** 92,114 ****
  	specific code in their applications (and, IMHO it was a real stupid
  	decision on their part).

  3. Is there a binary BSD port for the 386 available anywhere?

! 	No.  However, System V Release 4.0 will have many BSDisms including
! 	symbolic links, job control, BSD file system, sockets (implemented
! 	on top of streams).  It will also contain the SunOS memory mapped
! 	files, the Korn shell, and many other nifty things.

! 	These are now starting to ship (usually beta releases) to end-users
! 	by Intel, Microport, and UnixHOUSE.  I haven't seen these releases,
! 	nor heard any reports from those that have recieved them.

  	One thing that should be noted here is that the System V R4 release
! 	has MAJOR changes over the R3 releases and probably won't be stable
! 	for a while.  If you want a stable system, I would suggest that you
! 	continue to use a R3 until the second release of R4 systems (6-9 mos
! 	or so).

  	BSD 4.4 will support the 386 architecture as a base system.  This
  	means that vendors will have a base BSD system that could be used
--- 92,117 ----
  	specific code in their applications (and, IMHO it was a real stupid
  	decision on their part).

+ 	However, System V Release 4 (SVR4) binaries will not run on System V
+ 	Release * (where * is less than 4.0) systems.

  3. Is there a binary BSD port for the 386 available anywhere?

! 	No.  However, SVR4 has many BSDisms including symbolic links, job
! 	control, BSD file system, sockets (implemented  on top of streams).
! 	It will also contain the SunOS memory mapped files, the Korn shell,
! 	and many other nifty things.

! 	SVR4 is currently shipping from Microport, UHC, and DELL.  Intell
! 	had been shipping SVR4, but has handed its UNIX marketing efforts
! 	over to ISC.  ISC has announced that it will begin shipping SVR4
! 	in April.  SCO has no plans to ship a SVR4 product, but "will include
! 	SVR4 features in its SVR3.2 product."

  	One thing that should be noted here is that the System V R4 release
! 	has MAJOR changes over the R3 releases and won't be stable for a while.
! 	If you want a stable system, I would suggest that you continue to use
! 	SVR3.2 until SVR4 stablizes (another 6mos to a year).

  	BSD 4.4 will support the 386 architecture as a base system.  This
  	means that vendors will have a base BSD system that could be used
***************
*** 139,146 ****

  	At least one company (Mt Xinu) has announced that they will support
  	(and distribute) the MACH source code (assuming you have the
! 	appropriate license) but there have been no announcements about
! 	commercial binary distributions.

  4. What hardware works with brand X Unix and/or X11

--- 142,150 ----

  	At least one company (Mt Xinu) has announced that they will support
  	(and distribute) the MACH source code (assuming you have the
! 	appropriate license) AND has announced the availability of a binary
! 	product based upon the same.  Support for various PC devices is
! 	somewhat limited.

  4. What hardware works with brand X Unix and/or X11

***************
*** 211,218 ****
  8. Is there a port of X11 R3/4 available for whatever?

  	X11R3 is available from all of the 386 UNIX distributors.
- 	There are no releases fully based upon X11R4 yet.

  9. What are good intelligent multi-port serial card solutions?

  	This is yet another religous issue.  The following cards are
--- 215,245 ----
  8. Is there a port of X11 R3/4 available for whatever?

  	X11R3 is available from all of the 386 UNIX distributors.

+ 	Thomas Roell has ported X11R4 to the 80386 architecture and has
+ 	posted patches to enable it to run with a variety of VGA based
+ 	boards.  All you need is the X11R4 distribution from MIT, Roell's
+ 	patches and voila you get X11R4.  For sources to the X11R4 sources
+ 	you can see the FAQ posting in comp.windows.x.
+
+ 	I have heard very good reports on the performance of this server
+ 	from the many people that have used it, so if you need X or
+ 	want X11R4, you should check this out.
+
+ 	This stuff is available from the following sites:
+
+ 		ftp:	flop.informatik.tu-muenchen.de in /pub/i386/X11R4
+
+ 		uucp:   speed: TB+/PEP phone: 512-346-2339
+ 			system: bigtex
+ 			login: nuucp (no password)
+ 			files: /usr3/X11r4/i386.server/README
+ 			       /usr3/X11r4/i386.server/X386.man
+ 			       /usr3/X11r4/i386.server/Xserver.tar.Z
+
+ 		uucp:	system: zok (connection info available in the
+ 			FAQ posting to comp.windows.x)
+
  9. What are good intelligent multi-port serial card solutions?

  	This is yet another religous issue.  The following cards are
***************
*** 245,254 ****
  		have no experience/pricing info on these cards.

  	Equinox
! 		Equinox has two serial port solutions: the Megaport 12, and
! 		Megaport 24.  Each board is reputed to be capable of running
! 		all ports at full 38400 simultaneously. The 24 port cards
! 		runs around $1200.  Installation is a snap, no jumpers to
  		set, no interrupts required for the board.   The board
  		can be installed to use memory between 640K and 1 MB for
  		communications between the board and the system.
--- 272,282 ----
  		have no experience/pricing info on these cards.

  	Equinox
! 		Equinox has several serial port solutions including 12, 24
! 		and 96 ports in a single slot.  Each board is reputed to be
! 		capable of running ALL ports at full speed (38400 baud)
! 		simultaneously with no loss of data.  The 24 port card runs
! 		around $1200.  Installation is a snap, no jumpers to
  		set, no interrupts required for the board.   The board
  		can be installed to use memory between 640K and 1 MB for
  		communications between the board and the system.
***************
*** 255,262 ****
  		The board runs fine.  Input/output port sharing is supported.

  	Maxpeed
! 		Maxpeed has an 8 port card that will run any of the ports
! 		at speeds up to 38.4K. The card retails for 795, but is
  		usually available at $500 to $550.  I lost data when
  		receiving data as speeds > 9600 baud.  VPIX did not
  		run correctly on my wyse 60's.  I contacted customer
--- 283,290 ----
  		The board runs fine.  Input/output port sharing is supported.

  	Maxpeed
! 		Maxpeed has 8 and 16 port cards that will run any of the ports
! 		at speeds up to 38.4K. The 8 port card retails for 795, but is
  		usually available at $500 to $550.  I lost data when
  		receiving data as speeds > 9600 baud.  VPIX did not
  		run correctly on my wyse 60's.  I contacted customer
***************
*** 344,349 ****
--- 372,379 ----
  	unacceptable for systems that will have moderate to large database
  	files and will therefore need to be increased.

+ 	This solution also applies to the various SVR4 products.
+
  	1. If your desired limit is > 12288(6MB):

  		Edit /etc/conf/cf.d/mtune to change the following line:
***************
*** 366,371 ****
--- 396,402 ----
  	4. Rebuild the kernel and reboot.

  13. How do you set up a port for both dial-in and dial-out access?
+
  	There are two ways to do this.  Most intelligent boards provide
  	two devices for every port: one with and one without modem
  	controls.  The modem control ports are used for getty, while
***************
*** 624,639 ****
  18. Why do I run out of inodes on some filesystems when I know I don't
      have that many files?

! 	It's a known bug. Corrected in AT&T's 3.2.1 etc..., ISC 2.2,
! 	and in some binary patches, previously posted here, for
! 	Microport 3.0e and ISC 2.0 (and Microport SV/AT). If you
! 	have it, write hate mail to your supplier's expensive QA
  	department... It has been known for years.

  19. What is the minimum hardware for running Unix on a 386?

  	A 386SX, 4 MB RAM, 40MB Disk, monochrome adaptor and monitor.
! 	You can have this for little over $1000 mail order nowadays.
  	Using RLL is advisable, and does not cost you more.

  	With Xenix, you can live with as little as 2MB.
--- 655,675 ----
  18. Why do I run out of inodes on some filesystems when I know I don't
      have that many files?

! 	It's a known bug that is most often manifested by running
! 	bnews for news processing (Cnews doesn't seem to cause the
! 	problem - we have been running Cnews for over a year with a
! 	full newsfeed and have never seen the problem).  Binary patches
! 	have been posted to this group for several of the SVR3 OSs.
!
! 	It is not know if the problem still exists in the SVR4 products.
!
! 	If you have it, write hate mail to your supplier's expensive QA
  	department... It has been known for years.

  19. What is the minimum hardware for running Unix on a 386?

  	A 386SX, 4 MB RAM, 40MB Disk, monochrome adaptor and monitor.
! 	You can have this for less than $1000 mail order nowadays.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170