X11R4 problems

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Sat Feb 23 13:46:59 AEST 1991

In article <12870011 at hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo at hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>In comp.unix.sysv386, proto at gagme.chi.il.us (Mike Protofanouis) writes:
>
>> I have now been able to sucessfully build the kernel, but am now
>> getting an X startup error:
>>
>> Creating TCP socket: Invalid argument
>
>     This is "normal".  Ignore it.
>
>> After that, the X screen comes up but I can't type anything.
>
>     You're running xinit from the console (alt-F1), right?  If you are,
>run it from another virtual console.  If you must run it from the
>console, run xinit and bang on alt-F2, alt-F3, etc. until you can type
>something (if you are running on the console, X chooses to take input
>from *one* of the virtual consoles instead, and you can't type anything
>until you select that virtual console -- ugh).

On my ESIX box, alt-F[1-4] won't work.  The working key combos are either

(1) <alt><SysReq>N to cycle thru all virtual terminals (only one way) or
(2) <alt><SysReq>F[1-4] both ways.

Haven't figured out why yet.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department